State Garnishment Laws: Alabama, Alaska, and Arkansas

Here you will find judgment laws and rules which apply for the area of garnishments in the states of Alabama, Alaska, and Arkansas. Realize that codes, regulations, and court rules change from time to time. You will want to check to confirm that these statutes are up to date as of the time you need to apply them. State garnishment laws and current judgment law will dictate how you must proceed with implementing a garnishment.

Alabama Procedural Requirements

To obtain a writ of garnishment, a judgment creditor must make, before an officer authorized to administer oaths, and file, with the clerk of the court in which the judgment was entered, an affidavit stating the amount due from the judgment debtor to the judgment creditor, that process of garnishment is believed to be necessary to obtain satisfaction thereof and that the person to be summoned as garnishee is believed to be chargeable as garnishee in the case. Alabama Code _ 66 391.

Upon the filing of the affidavit, the officer filing the affidavit must issue process of garnishment and a copy thereof for each garnishee, to be served by the proper officer, requiring the garnishee to appear within 30 days and file an answer upon oath. Alabama Code _ 66393.

When a garnishment is issued on a judgment in which an appearance has not been entered for the defendant, the officer issuing the garnishment must issue notice to the defendant contemporaneously with the service of process of garnishment on the garnishee. The notice shall identify the name of the parties, the court in which the action is pending and the case number. In addition, except in proceedings to collect child or spousal support, the notice shall also contain a statement concerning rights of exemption. Alabama R. Civil. P. 64A.

Upon filing of the garnishee’s answer, the clerk or register shall give the plaintiff and the defendant notice, and the garnishee may, if required by the plaintiff, be examined orally in the presence of the court. Any demand for oral examination must be made by motion filed within 30 days from the date of notice of filing of the answer. Alabama Code _ 66450.

If the garnishee admits the possession of money belonging to the defendant, he must pay the same or so much as may be necessary to satisfy the plaintiff’s demand and costs into court to await the order of the court. Alabama Code _ 66 452.

When the answer of the garnishee is not controverted or, if controverted, is found for him, he shall be allowed $3 per day during his attendance when such attendance is required, together with five cents per mile going to and returning from court. In addition, when the personal attendance of the garnishee is not required, he shall be allowed $3 for such answer, which shall be taxed and collected as other costs. Alabama Code _ 66462.

Interest Rate at which Judgments Accrue Judgments for the payment of money, other than costs, if based upon a contract action, bear interest from the day of the cause of action, at the same rate of interest as stated in the contract. All other judgments shall bear interest at the rate of 12 percent per annum. In addition, fees allowed a trustee, executor, administrator, or attorney and taxed as part of the cost of the proceeding shall bear interest at a like rate from the day of entry. Alabama Code _ 8810. Applicable Forms Rights of Exemption, Alabama R. Civil. P. 64A.

Alaska Procedural Requirements

A plaintiff may make application to the court to have the property of the defendant attached as security for the satisfaction of a judgment in an action upon an express or implied contract for the payment of money if the contract is neither secured by mortgage, lien, nor pledge upon real or personal property, or, if secured, the security is insufficient to satisfy the judgment. Alaska Code Civil. P. _ 09.40.010.

Service of all process relating to attachment may be made by a person specially appointed by the court for that purpose. Alaska Code Civil. P. _ 09.40.025. All persons having in their possession personal property belonging to the defendant or owing a debt to the defendant at the time of service upon them of the writ and notice shall deliver, transfer, or pay the property or debts to the peace officer, or be liable to the plaintiff for the amount of the property or debts until the attachment is discharged or the judgment recovered by plaintiff is satisfied. Alaska Code Civil. P. _ 09.40.040.

When a peace officer with a writ of attachment applies to a person for the purpose of attaching property mentioned in the attachment, the person shall within a reasonable time and in any event within 24 hours furnish the peace officer with a statement designating the amount and description of any personal property in the person’s possession belonging to the defendant, or any debt the person owes to the defendant. If the person refuses to do so, or if the statement is unsatisfactory to the plaintiff, the person may be ordered to appear before the court and be examined concerning the property or debt. Alaska Code Civil. P. _ 09.40.060.

A party in whose favor a judgment is given that requires the payment of money may have a writ of execution issued for its enforcement. Alaska Code Civil. P. _ 09.35.010. All goods, chattels, money, or other property, both real and personal, or an interest in the property of the judgment debtor not exempted by law, and all property and rights of property seized and held under attachment in the action are liable to execution. Alaska Code Civil. P. _ 09.35.070.

The person to whom the writ is directed shall execute the writ against property of the judgment debtor until the judgment is satisfied. Alaska Code Civil. P. _ 09.35.100.

Interest Rate at which Judgments AccrueThe rate of interest on judgments and decrees for the payment of money is 10.5 percent a year, except that a judgment or decree founded on a contract in writing, providing for the payment of interest until paid at a specific rate not exceeding the legal rate of interest for that type of contract, bears interest at the rate specified in the contract if the interest rate is set out in the judgment or decree. Except when the court finds that the parties have agreed otherwise, prejudgment interest accrues from the day process is served on the defendant or the day the defendant received written notification that an injury has occurred and that a claim may be brought against the defendant for that injury, whichever is earlier. Alaska Code Civil. P. _ 09.30.070.

Arkansas Procedural Requirements

In all such actions where the plaintiff has obtained judgment, he may sue out a writ of garnishment setting forth the judgment and shall proceed in the manner directed for the enforcement and collection thereof. The plaintiffs in all cases of garnishment may also have an attachment against the property of the garnishee, who is made a defendant thereto, by stating in his affidavit one or more of the grounds for attachment and the amount for which the garnishee is indebted to the principal debtor, and by executing bond to the garnishee. Ark. Code Ann. _ 16110102.

The order of attachment shall be executed by the sheriff or other officer without delay by delivering a copy of the order, with a notice specifying the debt attached, to the person owing it. The sheriff shall deliver copies to and summon such persons as garnishees as the plaintiff may direct. It shall be the duty of every person to whom the sheriff shall apply therefor, to furnish him with the amount of the debt owing to the defendant, whether due or not. A failure to perform his duty may be punished by the court as contempt. Ark. Code Ann. _ 16110111.

The sheriff shall not, in executing an order of attachment upon personal property held by the defendant jointly or in common with another person, take possession of the property until there has been executed a bond to the other person, by one or more sufficient sureties of the plaintiff, to the effect that he will pay to the person the damages he may sustain by the wrongful suing out of the order. Ark. Code Ann. _ 16110113.

Each garnishee summoned shall appear. The appearance may be in person or by affidavit of the garnishee filed in court disclosing truly the amount owing by him to the defendant, whether due or not, at or after the service of the order of attachment. Where a garnishee appears in person, he may be examined on oath. If it is discovered on the examination that, at or after the service of the order of attachment upon him, he was indebted to the defendant, the court may order the payment or security for the payment of the amount owing by the garnishee, into the court, or to such person as it may direct. That person shall give bond, with security for the amount owing, or the court may permit the garnishee to retain the amount owing, upon the execution of a bond with one or more sufficient sureties, to the effect that the amount shall be paid or the property shall be forthcoming, as the court may direct. The court may, on motion of the plaintiff, compel the appearance in person, and examination, of any garnishee by process, as in cases of contempt. Where a garnishee makes a default by not appearing, the court may hear proof of any debt owing by him to the defendant and make such order in relation thereto, as if what is so proved had appeared on the examination of the garnishee. Ark. Code Ann. _ 16110127.

The garnishee may pay the money owing to the defendant by him to the sheriff having in his hands the order of attachment or into the court. The garnishee shall not be subjected to costs beyond those caused by his resistance of the claim against him. In fact, if he discloses the true amount owing by him and pays the amount owing according to the order of the court, he shall be allowed his costs. Ark. Code Ann. _ 16110129.

Upon the service of a summons upon any garnishee or after his failure to make a disclosure satisfactorily to the plaintiff, the latter may proceed in an action against him by filing a complaint verified as in other cases and causing a summons to be issued upon it. Thereupon, the proceeding may be had as in other actions and judgment may be rendered in favor of the plaintiff to subject the property of the defendant into the hands of the garnishee, or for what shall appear to be owing to the defendant by the garnishee. The judgment may be enforced by execution or other proper means. Ark. Code Ann. _ 16110133.

Interest Rate at which Judgments Accrue Interest on any judgment entered by any court or magistrate on any contract shall bear interest at the rate provided by the contract or ten percent per annum, whichever is greater, and on any other judgment at ten percent per annum, but not more than the maximum rate permitted by law. Ark. Code Ann. _ 1665114.

Judgment Collection - Asset Search - Apartment Rental Lease Collections - People Finder
Statute Of Limitations For Debt Collection and Judgment Collection - Enforcing out of State Judgments Lawyers
Domestication of Foreign Judgments or Sister State Judgments

Related Links

U.S. Collection Services

1-800-519-2334 • 954-757-6070
Fax 1-800-619-6731

email :

Click Here For Our Addres

People locator for debt collection. Find people for judgment collection, judgement enforcement or debt collection reasons. Asset search for hidden assets and bank accounts.

A Division Of US Record Search And Information Services, Inc.

If you need an asset search, bank account search for judgement collection,
Click the link at the top of the page

Judgment Collection,Asset Search,Apartment Rental Lease Collections,People Finder,Statute Of Limitations For Debt Collection and Judgment Collection, enforcement,recovery,collector,debt collection